Friday, July 29, 2011

Project: Dark Angels Challenge

Well, for the last few weeks I've been using my Angels of Redemption in my FLGS's Cities of Death League. As some of you know, I really don't like the traditional color scheme for the Dark Angels. That's why I chose to go with the AoR color scheme, and the more I use it the less I like it! So, I've decided to come up with a new challenge for myself. The paint an army in a weekend challenge. That's right, a 3000 point army in one weekend.

When I started painting my AoR, I picked up a can of Army Painters Army Green to base them with. While I was happy with the product, I did wish there was more in the can. I went back to there site this morning to see what other colors they carried while I was looking for inspiration and ideas for my Dark Angels. And then it hit me. Why not try to use the Army Painter Sprays as they were intended, with their quick-shade dip.

So that brings me to the weekend challenge idea. I already have all of the models I need built except for a 5 man combat squad that I'll make out of the Dark Angels Veteran Box that I picked up last night. For $25, you get the DA upgrade sprue plus the tactical marine upgrade sprue with all those lovely special weapons! Quite a bargain if you ask me! I'm going to build these guys up with a power fist sargeant and a meltagun. Since all of these guys are in robed bodies, I'll mix a few in with my Assault on Black Reach guys to spread them around. With those 5 guys and a few drop pods that I saved from my Space Wolves Army, I can field 3000 points of Dark Angels. And for one army, that is enough!

My plan is simple. Over the next two weeks, I need to get that combat squad assembled and fix any models that need a little last minute attention. I also need to order a few cans of spray from my FLGS along with a can of the Army Painter Dark Tone Quick Shade. A few cans of Angel Green and Skeleton Bone should do the trick. Yep, that's right.....bone colored Deathwing. As much as I don't like the color scheme, I need to get out of my comfort zone. I did it for my Bad Moonz Nobz, and now I really like them.

Then starting August 11th, prime, dip, highlight and seal the entire 3000 point army by August 15th. It's a long weekend for me, so it will give me time to allow the dip to dry completely. And I'll be taking photos all along the way, updating as I go along. I've let the blog slide a little lately, and hopefully this will make up for it.

Here is the army list I'm working with, and I'm not changing it now! When I'm done I'll have a finished Space Marine army and more time to get back to my Orks. And my Dark Eldar.... And my Wolfwing........And my Cygnar starterbox...........And my Orcs & Goblins.

UPDATE: REDESIGNED PAGE FOR DARK ANGELS AND INCLUDED STATUS ON MODELS



3000 pt Dark Angels for Army Painter Project

HQ: Company Master (1#, 130 pts)
   1 Company Master, 130 pts (Melta Bombs; Power Weapon; Combi-Plasmagun)

HQ: Belial, Master of the Deathwing (1#, 130 pts)
   1 Belial, Master of the Deathwing, 130 pts (Lightning Claws (pair))

Troops: Upgraded Deathwing Terminator Squad (5#, 265 pts)
   4 Upgraded Deathwing Terminator Squad, 265 pts (Narthecium/Reductor; Lightning Claws (pair) x2; Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield x1; Cyclone Missile Launcher; Apothecary)
      1 Sergeant (Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield)

Heavy Support: Land Raider Crusader (1#, 265 pts)
   1 Land Raider Crusader, 265 pts (Multi-Melta; Extra Armor)

Elite: Venerable Dreadnought (2#, 230 pts)
   1 Venerable Dreadnought, 230 pts (Extra Armor; Upgrade to Venerable; Twin Linked Lascannon)
      1 Drop Pod

Elite: Venerable Dreadnought (2#, 230 pts)
   1 Venerable Dreadnought, 230 pts (Extra Armor; Upgrade to Venerable; Twin Linked Lascannon)
      1 Drop Pod

Elite: Venerable Dreadnought (2#, 210 pts)  EXTRA DREADNOUGHT FOR DEATHWING ONLY GAMES!
   1 Venerable Dreadnought, 210 pts (Extra Armor; Upgrade to Venerable; Multi-Melta)
      1 Drop Pod

Elite: Scout Squad (10#, 215 pts)
   9 Scout Squad, 215 pts (Sniper Rifle x8; Missile Launcher)
      1 Sergeant (Melta Bombs; Sniper Rifle)

Troops: Tactical Squad (11#, 275 pts)
   9 Tactical Squad, 275 pts (Meltagun; Missile Launcher)
      1 Sergeant (Plasma Pistol; Power Fist)
      1 Drop Pod

Troops: Tactical Squad (6#, 245 pts) MAY ADD 5 ADDITIONAL MARINES TO MAKE 2 SQUADS OF TEN 
   4 Tactical Squad, 245 pts (Plasmagun)
      1 Sergeant (Plasma Pistol; Power Fist)
      1 Razorback (Dozer Blade; Extra Armor; Twin Linked Lascannon)

Troops: Deathwing Terminator Squad (5#, 235 pts)
   4 Deathwing Terminator Squad, 235 pts (Lightning Claws (pair) x3; Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield x1; Cyclone Missile Launcher)
      1 Sergeant (Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield)

Heavy Support: Land Raider (1#, 265 pts)
   1 Land Raider, 265 pts (Extra Armor)

Troops: Deathwing Terminator Squad (5#, 250 pts)
   4 Deathwing Terminator Squad, 250 pts (Chain Fist x1; Lightning Claws (pair) x1; Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield x1; Assault Cannon)
      1 Sergeant


Heavy Support: Land Raider Crusader (1#, 265 pts)
   1 Land Raider Crusader, 265 pts (Multi-Melta; Extra Armor)


Composition Report:
HQ: 2 (1 - 2)
Elite: 4 (0 - 3)
Troops: 5 (2 - 6)
Fast: 0 (0 - 3)
Heavy: 3 (0 - 3)

Total Roster Cost: 3210

Created with Army Builder® - Try it for free at http://www.wolflair.com

No comments:

Post a Comment